Nomination Guidelines and Rules
Each year, nominations are sought for exceptional dissertations completed in January 1 through December 31 of the previous year.
- The dissertation should be at the Ph.D. level and must represent original work of the writer as a part of a graduate degree program. The dissertation must be in English.
- Nominations for the award may originate from any school in the world offering a recognized graduate degree program in the area of hydraulic engineering, ecohydraulics or related fields.
- Nominations must be submitted by the graduate student's department head. Only one dissertation should be submitted from each University. Please consult with heads of other departments that may have produced eligible dissertations. The submission of the dissertation will be considered an endorsement of its significant merit by the department faculty and the institution. A brief statement by the advisor providing biographical information and extent of the writer's original contribution to the work should accompany the dissertation.
- In the event that no submission is judged to be outstanding, no award will be given.
- The recipient of the award will be expected to participate in a special colloquium at the University of Minnesota. The recipient will receive a medal and a $500 award.
How to Submit a Nomination
Compile the following necessary submission components:
- Nominated dissertation
- Nomination letter on institutional letterhead
- A reference from the advisor that includes the extent of the writer's original contribution and his or her biographical information.
Submit the dissertation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Straub Award Nomination” as the subject:
- Attach PDF files of the dissertation, nomination letter and advisor's reference
- Or provide a link to the downloadable PDF files of the submission for consideration
Note: Email addresses, phone numbers, and mailing addresses must be current and clear so that the nominating department head and advisor can be contacted.
If you are interested in being added to our mailing list to receive the call for nominations, please send your contact information to email@example.com. Please use the subject heading "Straub Award Mailing List."