Nomination Guidelines and Rules
Full-time graduate students whose research is performed at SAFL are invited to submit a proposal for funding to travel to a professional conference. Preference is given to students who will be presenting their research results at the conference and who have had a manuscript on their research accepted for publication in a referred journal in the previous 12 months. Applications are accepted annually.
The maximum amount of the award is $500. A one-to-one match from the advisor is required. Students may receive a maximum of two travel awards, one in the Master's program, and one in the Ph.D. program (if applicable) during their studies.
Interested students should submit:
- A letter proposal, endorsed by the advisor, which explains why the travel award is needed. Endorsement by the advisor is evidence of agreement to provide a required one-to-one match.
- An itemized estimate of travel expenses and funding sources, including a required one-to-one match.
- A resume that includes a list of publications.
- If relevant, the abstract of the paper to be presented at the conference and proof of acceptance. If the paper is submitted but not yet accepted, the student is encouraged to submit the application without the acceptance letter.
- If relevant, a copy of a paper published in a peer-reviewed journal in the previous 12 months, or a letter from a journal indicating acceptance of a paper for publication.
Send applications to SAFLawards@umn.edu or the address below.
SAFL Awards Coordinator
St. Anthony Falls Laboratory
University of Minnesota
2 Third Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414-2196